Mindfulness is awareness, cultivated by paying attention in a sustained and particular way; on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgementally. It is one of many forms of meditation, if you think of mediation as any way in which we engage in:
(1) systematically regulating our attention and energy
(2) thereby influencing and possibly transforming the quality of our experience
(3) in the service of realizing the full range of our humanity and of
(4) our relationship to others and the world.
- Mindfulness for Beginners, by Jon Kabat-zinn